Domain mapping is now possible on Namastream. It is OPTIONAL and is currently in public beta. It is not something you must do for your site to be operational.
In order to use a custom domain in Namastream, you will need to:
a) Own your own domain name (e.g. yourstudio.com). If you do not have one, you can purchase one at Name.com or a registrar of your choice.
b) Have administrator access to your domain name (e.g. your login to Name.com)
c) Have a studio account on Namastream
Choosing Your Custom Hostname:
For this example, let's assume you own the domain name [yourstudio.com]. You can choose a custom hostname on your domain. For example, either live.yourstudio.com or stream.yourstudio.com are good options. Pro tip: The text to the left of the domain name must be one word and shorter is better. Only some registrars for some top level domains will allow you to add CNAME records at the root level of the domain, for this reason, the only supported custom domain configuration at Namastream is to use as full hostname as described above.
To Set Up:
- Go to your "Settings" page within your Namastream studio site.
- Scroll to the bottom of the "Settings" page and type or paste in your custom hostname under the "Custom Domain" heading (make sure you include the whole hostname and not just the domain!)
- Click Next
- Copy the strange looking bit of code (this is actually another hostname) that appears under the instructions: "Please set the following value as your domain's CNAME"
- Go into your domain registrar (name.com, in my example) and find your domain
- Click "Manage DNS Records" or similar (this may be worded slightly differently if you use something other than Name.com, such as Bluehost, GoDaddy, etc.
- Add a "CNAME" record for the domain, using the funny looking bit of code you just copied out of your Namastream site. You will leave everything "as is" in the CNAME record other than the "Answer:" section, which is where you will paste that bit of code that you copied from your Namastream site.
- Click "Add Record" or similar.
Pro Tip: If you are having trouble with steps 6 or 7 of this process. We recommend you google "How to add a CNAME record at _________" (fill in the blank with your domain registrar).
NOTE: It may take several hours for your new domain to begin working as expected. Part of this delay is due domain name system caching. Once your domain is routing correctly, it may take a little longer for our system to generate the correct SSL certificate. Once that certificate is generated the security warnings will go away and the site may be used.
Testing Your Custom Domain
You can test your custom domain by typing in your new hostname, followed one of the page extensions for your Namastream site. For example, here's a link to the Beta Launch Lab course on our Namastream site: https://soulfulmba.school/#/soulfulmba/product/3603
This is using the custom domain for "soulfulmba.school"
The default url for the same product will still work: https://app.namastream.com/#/soulfulmba/product/3603
They go to the exact same place. The new feature simply allows your to "mask" the Namastream part of the url, if you choose to do that.